There are many other platforms released by academics for doing online experiments. Here are a list of the ones we know that are currently active.
The main differentiation of TurkServer is relative to the platforms and frameworks below is its focus on facilitating and instrumenting real-time and synchronous interaction. But we’ve kept the software simple, and you’ll find features such as the live experimenter console and one-way mirror useful even for single-user experiments.
- Breadboard focuses on network and cooperation experiments.
- CogniLab is a paid service for launching online experiments, no coding required.
- oTree is a Django (Python) based framework focusing on economic games.
- PsiTurk is a Python-based framework for building and sharing experiments, originating in the psychology community.
- Volunteer Science is a hosted platform that maintains their own volunteer panel.
Unless using volunteer participants, all of the aforementioned software frameworks run on crowdsourcing platforms: